Jonathan Pollard has now served more than 3 times as long as anyone else charged with a similar offense. But unlike other spies - even those who committed far more serious crimes - there is no prison term long enough to satisfy the relentless and vindictive policy of the CIA, and the Justice, Intelligence and Defense departments towards him.
Aside from the grossly disproportionate sentence that Pollard received, the case is plagued by a long list of judicial inequities including:
- A broken plea agreement
- A false charge of treason
- Gross procedural errors
- Secret evidence
- Blatantly inaccurate evidence
- Ineffective legal counsel
- Lack of due process
- Ex parte communication between the judge and the prosecution
The American Jewish "grassroots" cares deeply about securing justice for Jonathan Pollard, and intuitively understands that this case is not only about Pollard, but about equal justice for all Americans and fair treatment of Israel as an ally.
American Jewish leaders however - whose support and money are considered critical in the upcoming presidential elections - have completely failed to make an unequivocal demand for equal justice from the Clinton administration. Similarly they have thus far failed to convey to the presidential candidates that equal justice and judicial fairness are a sine qua non for Jewish support. Their failure to do so ensures that the case will remain a thorn in the side of the Jewish community, and will continue to be used to call into question Israel's reliability as an ally.
- Dec. 17: Nice Try Mr. Gore, But Clintonisms Won't Work - Source: NY Jewish Week
- Jan. 7: Gore Cops Out on Pollard Case: Marvin Greisman
- Jan. 14: Gore seeking to reassure voters on Charitable Choice: The Forward
- Jan. 14: Al'n Hillary Learn How to Duck: LA Jewish Times
- Jan. 28: Shame on McCain: The Jewish Press
- Feb. 18: Conflicting Versions Of Gore's Role In The Ciralsky Case: Yated Ne'eman
- Mar. 13: Jewish Funds and Votes: Yes. Equal Justice: No.: JTA
- Mar. 24: No Moral Giant: NY Jewish Week
- July 7: The Colman/Lieberman Correspondence Continues: Jewish Press (NY)
- Aug. 8: Senator Joseph Lieberman for VP?: Media Release
- Sept. 16: Al Gore and the FALN: New York Post
- Nov. 10: "AND THE WINNER IS...JONATHAN POLLARD!": Charley J. Levin