American Veterans of Israel Resolution on Pollard
February 22, 1995
AMERICAN VETERANS OF ISRAEL
VOLUNTEERS IN ISRAEL'S WAR OF INDEPENDENCE
CANADIAN & UNITED STATES VOLUNTEERS
136 East 39th St. New York, NY, 10016
A SPECIAL MESSAGE FROM THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
At the February 22, 1995 Executive Committee meeting, the following resolution was passed:
WE, THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE OF THE AMERICAN VETERANS OF ISRAEL, SUPPORT AND URGE OUR MEMBERSHIP TO SUPPORT, THE REQUEST TO PRESIDENT CLINTON TO COMMUTE THE SENTENCE OF JONATHAN POLLARD, ON HUMANITARIAN GROUNDS, TO TIME SERVED AND TO CIRCULATE THE FOLLOWING PETITION TO OUR MEMBERSHIP IN SUPPORT OF THIS REQUEST.
(please see last page of Newsletter for Petition Form)
The executive Committee considered the AVI policy of non-political activity and based on the information provided, some of it contained below, made its decision on humanitarian grounds.
- This is a PURELY HUMANITARIAN APPEAL FROM A BASICALLY UNJUST SENTENCE. An appeal for justice is not political.
- The Prime Minister of Israel, Mr. Rabin, asked the President of the United States TWICE to commute the sentence on HUMANITARIAN grounds.
- The Knesset caucus, with 2/3 of all political parties, requested commutation of sentence on HUMANITARIAN grounds.
- The Chief Rabbis of Israel appealed for commutation of sentence on HUMANITARIAN grounds.
- ALL the Mayors of Israeli towns asked for commutation of sentence on HUMANITARIAN GROUNDS.
- This is a partial list of organizations that have issued statements calling for commutation of Pollard's sentence to time served.
- World Zionist Congress - 32 Session
- Union of Orthodox Jewish Congs. - (Orthodox Union)
- American Jewish Committee - National
- B'nai B'rith - International Org. of America
- Simon Wiesenthal Center
- Synagogue Council of America
- Federation of Human Rights - Paris
- Jewish Action Alliance
- Zionist Organization of America
- Union of American Hebrew Cong. - ( UAHC) Reform
- Jewish National Fund
- American Jewish Congress - National
- Jewish War Veterans of Canada
- National Council of Young Israel
- Notre Dame Law School - Indiana
- European Parliament
- Labor Zionist Alliance - Chicago - New York
- B'nai Zion
Plus 44 Jewish Community Relations Committees; 57 Jewish Federations, and more than 266 other non-political organizations. A complete list is a available on request.
War Against the Jews: How Western Espionage betrayed the Jewish People" by John Loftus and Marks Aarons, St. Martins Press.